Monday, September 22, 2014

Progress in Providence

Yesterday I raced my third USA Road Championship race, the CVS Health 5k in Providence, RI. It was my highest finish in a USARC race for me thus far, my history being as such:
  • 32nd at Half Marathon Champs, 2013
  • 19th at Bix 7 Miler Champs, 2014
  • 11th at CVS 5k Champs, 2014
Granting that progression above is assisted by the fact that each race is closer to my main race distance, the 5k, I still think it shows some progress in the last year. Especially when the strong field at the 5k Champs is considered.

Day before the race by the harbor
Quick Race Recap:
Race Video Here
Race went out rather leisurely at 4:33 through the mile and everyone was bunched up. There was a decent downhill in the first mile that made it feel pretty easy. Then we even split on the second mile coming through in 9:06 and I was right there with the lead pack. But then on the long straight after the mile 2 split, I lost contact with the lead group. With about 600 to go, I caught Craig Forys and moved past him into 9th place. Then we hit the hill with 300 to go and Foryse went flying by with Julian Saad in tow, which left me outside of the top 10 and the money. Watched it happen right before my eyes and my legs couldn't do anything.

Up the final hill, Craig Forys on right, Julian Saad on left
Photo Credit: Ricky Lupp
While my goal was to be top-10 heading into the race and I'm disappointed that I just barely missed that goal, I feel good about the race. As I've described to some of my close friends, this first year with Team USA MN has been a year of developing confidence. A side effect of being such a huge fan of the sport is that I would line up next to guys who had won national titles, Olympic medals, World Championship medals, etc... and be intimidated. These were guys I would wake up before the sun rose on weekends during college to watch them race in Europe. Guys who Letsrun would do articles on and Flotrack would have weekly videos on their workouts. 

And then there would be me, the Cincinnati kid without even a state title to his name trying to run with the best of them.

But I can confidently say for the first time this year, I felt like I belonged. Even with such a deep and talented field, I felt like I really had a shot at the top. This serves as a great example of what my college coach, Bill Schnier, used to always tell us during college: confidence is like the issue of the chicken and the egg, what comes first? A great race to be confident, or confidence to have a great race? It has to be one or the other. And his advice was as follows, “You have to be absolutely sure you are better than your opponent, even if the evidence is not there. By doubting yourself, by worrying and by using any negativity only robs you of your energy. Furthermore, when a few things go wrong in a race, which they usually do, the confident person assumes that things will work out, whereas the doubter will think, ‘here we go, down the drain.’”

As I reflect upon the race, I think about how talented some of the top guys in the race were. Not that I don't have any talent, but guys who were running in the top 25 at NCAA XC by their sophomore year (Estrada, Darling, Fernandez, and Girma) are gifted with quite a bit of talent. I didn't even qualify for NCAAs my sophomore year. But by my senior year, I had ascended to a 25th place finish. My takeaway is that if I could rise that high in the collegiate ranks from consistent training, then it's possible to do the same at the professional level as well. Now that I have found my groove with my teammates and coach at Team USA Minnesota, I'm feeling optimistic about the upcoming years.


Race Results




1 comment:

  1. Way to go Eric. Very philosophical! Scott ran against Forys in HS!

    ReplyDelete